Wednesday, February 09, 2011

The Needless Lack of Self-Confidence of Most Home-Schooling Mothers

Hi everyone!
Sorry it has been so long, but I have an interesting article to share with you! Here is an excerpt:

Today, there is a generation of home-school mothers who began three decades ago, and whose grandchildren are now being home schooled by their daughters. With the new digital media, you might think that there would be dozens of detailed, step-by-step curriculum programs for sale or for free. Yet Dr. Arthur Robinson's was the first purely digital curriculum. It is delivered on CD-ROMs. He created it because his wife died unexpectedly, and he had to develop a self-taught curriculum. He was running a sheep ranch, a biological research organization, and was the publisher of the newsletter, Access to Energy. He had no time to teach his six children using the labor-intensive, mother-run programs.

So, two men without experience have developed comprehensive programs. Why men? The barrier to entry is not money. The monetary cost of creating and delivering a digits-based program is basically free.

My conclusion: home school mothers lack self-confidence.

----------------

Needless to say, I disagree with Dr. North's assertions and e-mailed him to let him know what I thought of his article. He doesn't particularly like e-mails that disagree with him and suggested that I blog about it. So, here is his article. You know the drill, click on the title to read the entire article! And if you want to engage Dr. North in discussion, well, he doesn't like angry e-mails and he doesn't let the public comment on his website without being a paid member....

I guess we could discuss it here....

Peace,
Katie

1 comment:

Katie Kilcrease said...

Here is my response to Dr. North:

Gary,

I don't think the issue is confidence. I think it takes a great deal of confidence to step out of the mainstream and do something so different as home schooling. As a nineteen-year veteran of home schooling, I think it is interesting that you think when I am finished home schooling our fourth child next year that I should spend time creating curriculum for other home schoolers to give away for free. Let me get this right, I spend over twenty years away from full time work, doing without that income, most of the time not only home schooling my own children but also co-oping with and advising other home school families as a leader in a home school group...and there is something wrong with me because I am not willing to spend more time creating home school materials for free? You've got to be kidding me!

I know plenty of home school moms who are writing and selling curriculum at reasonable prices. Many of them give their time to advise other home schoolers and help them get started or get over rough patches. One of my home school friends is even writing for the traditional textbook market.

The worker is worthy of his wages, you know...and I have found that home schooler published materials or materials published mainly for the home school market are much more reasonably priced that those for the traditional school market.

I think you might find it interesting to speak to a few home schoolers about your position on this issue. It could be an enlightening conversation!