Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Ice Storm

OK, so Florida is not so bad....

We just took our yearly trip to SC and TN to visit family. When we left on Thursday, I was not aware that an ice storm was brewing in the western Carolinas and north Georgia. My parents experienced many of those while living in Gainesville, GA, and I was happy when they moved here to FL and I did not have to worry about them in that weather.

We arrived at my husband's parents' house to find that they had no power and, because it was so wet, their septic system was backing up - no toliet flushing thank you very much! I had just started taking medication for a UTI, so the bathroom and I were constant companions. We spent the first night in the dark at their house - trying to find a place to eat was fun. We arrived at two places just as they ran out of food. The third, Bojangles, was prepared! They must have sold a lot of chicken that night, because a significant portion of the town had no power for cooking.

Thankfully, my husband's sister had power on Friday and we all moved over there. We all even had beds! It was actually kind of fun. The whole situation reminded me of our hurricanes last year, except for being cold instead of hot.

We went to the Biltmore House in Asheville on Saturday and then on to Knoxville to see the rest of the family. We had such a good time! We got to take all the kids to the Narnia movie - well worth seeing, in my opinion!

Now we are home...appreciating the much milder FL weather. I do not miss ice storms in the least!

---Katie

No comments: