Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Racial Divide Continues....

I know it is a risk to address racial issues...but I'm going to try anyway.

If you thought that electing an African American as our 44th president would prove that the United States is not a racist country, think again. It is not in the interest of the folks who make a living crying racism to let the issue die. Am I the only person incensed at the following "benediction" at the inaugural by James Lowery?

"Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around...when yellow will be mellow... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

Now come on, I remember "separate but equal," but most of my life has been spent in the age of affirmative action and equal opportunity. When was the last time "black was asked to get in the back?" Prayers like that do not serve to unite us, only to perpetuate the divisions that hold all of us back.

I guess I am not the only one unhappy with Lowery.




---Katie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If all this 'racial' stuff doesn't end soon...I'll be thinking of moving to India.

Why not?