Sunday, February 22, 2009

What a Wonderful Tribute!

We had a celebration at St. John today. We honored the man who has been a lay minister of the congregation for about 34 years. He turns ninety years old in August and is still going strong in ministry. It was just great to hear how many people he has touched. In addition to ministering to St. John's members (shut-in, hospitalized, grieving, and others), Ed led worship out at Disney every six weeks, worked closely with Great Oaks Village (a local children's home/shelter), worked with the Christian Service Center (homeless shelter, "soup kitchen") and I'm sure much, much more....I only wish I had his energy and drive!

Disney gave Ed a Mouscar, their answer to an Oscar, and had a representative there to present it to him. Orange County and the City of Orlando each had a representative there to read a proclamation from his respective municipality. One, I think it was Orange County, declared today to be Ed Soistman Day!

The church was packed. There were people from many years of St. John's life. I so enjoyed seeing folks I have not seen in years as well as people who are still friends living in the area. I know it must have meant a lot to Ed to see that so many people love him and care enough to come out and honor him in such a way.

Of course, nothing goes without a glitch...we arrived at church to find that the bathrooms, all of them, were out of order. Thank goodness they worked at the two houses the church owns across the street! Of course, with over 400 guests, lines got long!

My one negative comment - seeing all the love poured out on Ed today, seeing how important he has been to the community, not just St. John, it really made the FL-Bahamas Synod look small and petty for way they have treated him. I'm proud of Ed for sticking to his principles and and standing up for those who were being mistreated at St. John. He paid a price, but he did the right thing.

Thanks Ed! God bless you!

---Katie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! It was a wonderful day with friends; lots of laughter and love. I got "weepy" several times. Thank you for recognizing Ed as the awesome minister that he is! He has touched so many people in this community & beyond.

Anonymous said...

I think I know why this man hasn't been allowed to retire. I am reminded of what Lincoln said about General Grant. There were those who wanted Grant out of the picture and Lincoln said, "I can't spare the man. He fights."

It may be that the Lord says the same about this man.

Glad there are still some fighting men in the ELCA. I will keep him in prayer.

Peace in the Lord!
Rob Buechler, Pastor
Trinity-Bergen Lutheran Church

Katie Kilcrease said...

He has been a rock and has stood firm in faith. It was said during the event that, for Ed, retire means putting new tires on his car so he can keep going - he will be in ministry as long as he is able.

And he did (does) fight (for what is right!)

Anonymous said...

I'll never have a chance to meet Ed down here, but when we get "up" there...I'm buying that man a beer!

Katie Kilcrease said...

And come prepared to eat lots of crab legs - that man can shuck crab (is that what you call it?) faster than you would believe....He's from Bal'more (Baltimore), you know! Sit next to him at a crab feast and you won't have to dig out your own crab meat...

Nice blog, Steve!