Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Speaking of Bombs....

Were you aware that a series of small bombs have been detonated in NY? Neither was I...

Small Bomb Goes Off Outside Upper East Side Starbucks
New York Daily News ^ | Barry Paddock and Jonathan Lemire

A small improvised explosive device detonated outside an Upper East Side Starbucks early Monday morning, shattering the coffee shop's windows and raising fears of terrorism.

The bomb tore a hole in a wooden bench outside the coffee chain's outpost at Third Ave. and E. 92nd St. when it exploded at 3:30 a.m.

No one was injured in the blast, but it terrified residents who had been fast asleep early on Memorial Day.

"I heard a giant noise -- a big, giant noise, like a crash -- and there was a flash," said Jordan Kovnot, 26, a law student who lives above the Starbucks. "It made me jump up."

"It felt like an earthquake," said Adrianna Ebans, 28, who was among more than a dozen residents evacuated from the apartments above the Starbucks. "We were all really scared."

Scores of detectives are crawling over the blast site, looking for surveillance video and trying to determine the nature of the low-grade explosive device, which investigators believe was either placed on or taped to the bench.

"We don't know the motive. Obviously it's a cause for concern," said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. "We're going to do an in-depth investigation."

No one had claimed credit for the blast, nor was it called in ahead of time, said Kelly.

Kelly -- who noted that Starbucks branches have been victimized in other cities by protestors angry at the chain's global reach -- said investigators were also exploring whether this morning's blast was connected to other previous small explosions in the city.

Click on the title....

Move along folks, nothing to see here....

---Katie

1 comment:

Amy Platon said...

Katie,
I had not heard of these bombs. Shocking, usually the news picks up on this stuff then it spreads like wildfire.

BTW, thanks for your comments at Scribble Ink Cafe. It has gotten quite heated over there. I will browse the books you suggested and if something catches my eye I'll take a look. I'm not trying to stop homeschooling. I don't even think there are problems with homeschooling, I just don't want all the strongly parented kids leaving the public school system. We need them if things are going to get better. The homeschool stats are spiking and that is why I wrote about it. I wrote it for my local newspaper and our schools are mostly good - No real outrageous events. So I'm suggesting that parents pour their love for their children into the school, so all the kids can benefit. I'm not shouting for change, I'm begging for people to stay and help improve things.

Thanks for the debate.