Tuesday, May 01, 2018

I'm Baaaaack!


Well, hello there! It’s been a long time. In fact, the last article I posted on this blog was in July, 2013! I have decided to start blogging again, and I would like to tell you why.

               Many of you know that I have a passion for peacemaking. I believe that it is very important to resolve conflict, particularly in the church or among believers, in a way that is pleasing to God. The Bible actually has a lot to say about how we should deal with conflict in our Christian communities. It’s like he knew that we were going to fight! Figure that, Christians fighting… 

               I discovered the book, The Young Peacemaker by Corlette Sande, at a homeschool convention in the 90's and went on to read Ken Sande’s book, The Peacemaker, and my eyes were opened! I had been going about this conflict thing all wrong. I would like to say that from then on, all my conflicts were reconciled smoothly and I did not initiate or exacerbate conflicts, but…, well more on that later…in other articles most likely. It did, however, change my life and how I view conflict, my role in conflict, and the people with whom I am in conflict. I went on to take some training from Peacemakers Ministries, attend a couple of their conferences, and incorporate the principles I was learning into my life, family, and the various groups I was a part of. I even started and led a peacemaking team at my church.

               There are other groups besides Peacemakers Ministries that teach Biblical peacemaking. Ambassadors of Reconciliation grew out of Peacemakers, and until recently they had a uniquely Lutheran focus. I was blessed to be allowed to attend their basic conflict coaching and mediation training with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod Florida/Georgia District Circuit Visitors in May 2016, in Charlotte, NC, my home town! And later that year, our district president asked if I would serve as a District Reconciler for our district. Again, more of the basic training with some special equipping for dealing with hearings and appeals in the Synod.  This past February, I had the pleasure of helping my church host AoR's conflict coaching and mediation training in Orlando. And finally, in April I was in St. Louis for their advanced coaching and mediation training and conference. I will have lots to say about how those two events have inspired me in subsequent posts, but my main point here is that it made me realize that I need to write about what I am learning and experiencing in the area of reconciliation – a word I plan to use as a substitute for peacemaking.

               So, that’s why I am back! In my next article, I will talk more about the mountaintop experience my week in St. Louis was!

Peace!

Katie

No comments: