Monday, May 15, 2006

Happy Mother's Day?

I have a friend who hates Mother's Day. I can't blame her. She gave birth to her only child around the same time as her divorce. She has raised this child to adulthood by herself and has done a fine job. Yet at her first Mother's Day, her mother told her that she did not have to do anything for her for MD because "she was not her mother!"

She is not alone. My mom and my mother-in-law have informed me at different times over the years that they did not do anything for me for MD because "I am not their mother."

What is that about? How many people did you wish Happy Mother's Day to yesterday? I know I had better not forget my mom or mil on Mother's Day. That would be unforgivable! When my husband's grandmothers were still living, we recognized them on MD. I try to make sure my kids wish their godparents Happy Mother's Day...this does not always happen, but we try.

If you are a grandparent, someone gave birth to those grandchildren. Why would you not wish to show your appreciation to the person who is raising those precious kids? (I know, there are some bad situations out there, but if you have nothing more than the normal parent/child or in-law irritations, why would you not want to spread a little love around?) It reminds me of my previous article about women who think (and teach their daughters) that they don't have to do anything for their men on Valentine's Day. It is a holiday that is all about them. Is Mother's Day all about you Mom? Does your daughter or daughter-in-law spend what is also her special day in the kitchen while you don't even give her a card? It's ungracious, and frankly, selfish. And, no, I don't care what your mother or mother-in-law did to you. You know better, so let things change with you.

And, by the way, if you know a single mom who does not have a husband in the picture to help her child say "thanks, Mom," why not help out a little with that? We all need to take care of each other in this world. You will be a blessing.

---Katie

No comments: