Sunday, January 28, 2007

What's the deal with airboats?

Before we went camping this weekend at Lake Kissimmee State Park, someone warned us to take earplugs because of the airboats. We didn't, of course, because the rest of my family can sleep through anything and the earplugs would annoy me enough to keep me from sleeping!

Thursday night was very cold and we did not hear much. Friday night I know there were airboats out on the lake until at least one in the morning. Saturday, the cold front came through at night, so we heard rain, not boats. (And our awning ripped away from the camper when it became too full of water, but that is another story. We thought the entire weekend would be dry.) I never saw a single airboat on the water during the day, although I did hear them occasionally.

So, my question is, what are people doing out there in airboats on Lake Kissimmee in the middle of the night? I'm not talking one or two, on Friday night it sounded like bunches! We called them giant mosquitoes because of the whining sound of the motors. It sounded like they were having a lot of fun, but I have no idea what they were doing.

Anyone been out on an airboat?


---Katie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another thing they might be doing is fishing. Catfishing in particular if they were using lights.

I can remember when I lived in South Florida. Going catfishing under the big lights was FUUUUNNN! (Even got grounded for sneaking out to do it...not good, just saying that's how fun it is).

Peace in the Lord!
Rob Buechler

Anonymous said...

of potential interest to lutheran bloggers:'

http://camera.org/index.asp?x_context=2&x_outlet=118&x_article=1279