Thursday, September 13, 2007

Don't Call Me Pastor!

I found this article oddly comforting amidst all the chaos at our church, chaos caused, according to some, by the fact that our pastor is not a shepherd. (I am quoting others, not making my own statement.)

Here is the excerpt that applied some salve to my bruised heart:

Granted, the metaphor of the people of God as a flock of sheep living under the watchful eye of a good shepherd runs deep in the Bible. And there is some support for referring to those in leadership roles as shepherds or pastors for God’s people. In John 21:16, Jesus’ second charge to Simon Peter is to “tend (shepherd, pastor) my sheep.” In the same way, I Peter 5:4 urges the elder within the church to “tend (shepherd, pastor) the flock of God that is your charge.” Ephesians 4:11 speaks of how it is a gift that some are appointed “apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers.”

However, it must be noted that positive references to church leaders as shepherds are few and far between. In fact, when the Bible speaks of the human shepherds and pastors of God’s people, it is most often with the language of condemnation and woe. Over and over again, the leadership of the faithful fail to be decent shepherds. David, the shepherd king, ends up as a sheep thief (II Samuel 11 and 12). Jesus speaks of how he—and he alone—is the Good Shepherd, and all others are either “thieves and robbers” or “hirelings who care nothing for the sheep” (John 10). “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture!” says the LORD—thus begins Jeremiah’s shepherd-sheep metaphor (23:1), and with it he tears at kings, priests, prophets, and all the other human shepherds of Israel as bullies and thieves. Ezekiel 34 is equally vicious in its condemnation of any who has claimed to be shepherd or pastor to God’s people. Even the little epistle of Jude takes a shot at would-be shepherds as it criticizes those who are “blemishes on your love feasts, as they boldly carouse together, looking after (=shepherding) themselves” (v. 12).

The good news within all the hard words against those who claim to be shepherds and pastors is the ongoing proclamation that, even though so many have failed, there is one who remains a good shepherd. As the familiar words of Psalm 23 say, “The LORD is my shepherd.” Jesus’ words in John 10, “I am the Good Shepherd,” are not an isolated instance. Jeremiah and Ezekiel’s rejection of human shepherds and pastors is grounded in the promise of God’s intention to be what humanity can not be. “I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will make them lie down,” says the LORD God. “I will seek the lost and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the crippled, and I will strengthen the weak, and the fat and the strong I will watch over; I will feed them in justice” (Ezekiel 34:15-16).

Click on the title to read the whole article.

Like I said, I am not making a statement about anyone, but it does make us think - can we really expect pastors to be good shepherds? Always? Even though they are sinners just like us? Perhaps we should just be thankful when we have that experience with a pastor and realize we won't find it everywhere. And remember who the Good Shepherd really is and who we need to turn to when our hearts are sore.

---Katie

No comments: