Monday, September 10, 2007

ELW

Here is an interesting opinion of the ELW, our new hymnal:

The creation of Evangelical Lutheran Worship (ELW) by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, as I understand it, was generated by the convergence of two factors. One was the fervent desire on the part of a relative minority in the church to end the use of masculine pronouns (“he,” “him,” “his”) to refer to God. The other was the increasingly serious financial situation of the church’s publishing house, Augsburg Fortress. A new worship book would make congregations pray and talk about God in ways that the influential minority considered essential and would at the same time be a big seller to bail out the publisher. And so it has happened.

Click on the title to read more at Lutheran Forum.

You know, those two items above have been my opinion for awhile - it's interesting that others think the same thing.

---Katie

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I concur... how was worship at pop?

Katie Kilcrease said...

You know, I just can't bring myself to say, "It is right to give our thanks and praise." It just turns my stomach every time. So I just say "him" instead of "our." I find that I am not the only one.

I guess you talked with your dad! It was great to see him. I found worship to be uplifting. I like the pastor and the praise team is good, not as ear-shattering loud as ours, so perhaps Andy can tolerate it. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary this coming Sunday, so we will go to SJ for confirmation and then go to POP the following week.

Ray told me that you are attending an interesting church - details?

How is everyone?

Katie Kilcrease said...

and to add more to the mix...five people resigned from council last night.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Maybe something good will come of it...or not. Lord willing the CWA and all the "minor" changes to worship will open eyes and change some minds.

Peace in the Lord!
Rob Buechler

P.S. Katie, I am interested to know what happened there with the council. Contact me off line.