Thursday, January 13, 2005

ELCA Sexuality Task Force releases its recommendations

As you may or may not know, the Evangelical Church in America has been engaged in a study process to determine if they should ordain non-celibate homosexuals and if they should perform blessings for same-sex couples. Over the last year or so churches and church members have been encouraged to participate in a study developed by the task force to help with the discernment process. I helped lead one of those studies at my church last spring. Participants were encouraged to give feedback to the task force which would be included in their report.

To read the ELCA News Service summary of the report, click on the title of this article. To read the entire report, go to www.elca.org and click on "Report and Recommendations."

I am disappointed in the recommendations, but not surprised. The task force recommends no changes in the "Visions and Expectations" for rostered personnel, but gives bishops the option to not discipline those who are in violation of the standards. I say, let's not have standards we are not willing to enforce. This is typical ELCA fence straddling.

I will post more articles and comments on this issue as I can and as I have time to read the entire report.

---Katie

No comments: