Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Bishop Hanson reelected

on the second ballot. He missed it on the first ballot by only two votes.

The rainbow stoles came out today. They are crocheted this year, very pretty. As we went into breakfast the goodsoil folks handed out a devotional that includes stories of partnered gay pastors. In the back there is a list of "lesbian, gy, bisexual and transgender pastors, associates in ministry, seminarians, and candidates approved for ordination who have agreed to be introduced to the ELCA at its 2007 churchwide assembly." I guess this is what they were talking about regarding ministers coming out at assembly.

I actually spoke to the assembly today, speaking in favor of a motion to amend the resolution regarding the Lutherans read the Bible initiative. I did not pass out, but it is hard to figure out where to look while you are speaking, because if you look at the chair, you can see yourself out of the corner of your eye on the big screen...very disconcerting! I was hoping to give details of the amendment and how the voting went, but I left that paperwork in the assembly hall. We were trying to change language that would have allowed for a multiplicity of ways of interpreting the Bible as Lutherans. Our amendment was voted down about 70 - 30%. Traditionalists might be persona non grata this time around. We'll see.

More later!

---Katie

Oh, and the hymnals were not gifts. We get to use them, then they will go to congregations that cannot afford their own. At least I won't have to try to keep my son from burning it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...


Oh, and the hymnals were not gifts. We get to use them, then they will go to congregations that cannot afford their own. At least I won't have to try to keep my son from burning it.


LOL!
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only FReeper with a son who leans even more to the right! My 19 year old went ballistic when I shared with him the ELW dedicatory "prayer" and the "prayer" invoking "God our strength/God our shield"
Don't know how well the catechesis "took" in most that I have Confirmed, but he certainly "gets it". The next generation of the Church is in good hands, even if they are few.

--Lightman

Anonymous said...

Funny you mentioned burning the book. I was thinking that in the remote chance that Chicago gets cool in the evenings, you might want to use the book as kindling to start a bonfire. Of course, if the libs see a bonfire, they'd probably want to burn the traditionalists at the stake. The pot continues to boil...the frog continues to cook- ever so slowly but cooking just the same.

Another thought- not having heard all the discussion about the rationale: doesn't it seem funny to anyone that a church body has to have special motions and amendments about reading the Bible in the first place?

I find myself more and more sarcastic and willing to withdraw from organized churches. The Holy Spirit can speak to me through my study of God's Word, can't He? Yes, I need the support of a fellowship of believers, but what if the believer's I fellowship with distort the Word?

Katie Kilcrease said...

They don't believe they are distorting it. They really believe that the traditionalists are holding to a dead letter. The word of God is living they say, and that means that it changes....This is why the folks in Word Alone and Lutheran Core are held in such disfavor. It is amazing what we hear in the various sermons and speeches that push us toward change in the standards. These folks believe they are right.

Anonymous said...

The word of God is living they say, and that means that it changes...
I have heard it said, accurately, that "the schamerei you shall have with you always."

They were a toxic nuisance in Luther's day and some things never change.

Keep the true faith!

--Lightman