Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Musings

Just a little of the personal side of my experience in Chicago...

I have a great room. I did not sign up for a roommate, so I have to pay half of my room rate. I also got upgraded to a "Regency Club" floor when I got here. I have a small room on the 34th floor with a fabulous view of the Chicago River, the Navy Pier, and Lake Michigan. This is a nice hotel.

It looks like most of what I am going to see while I am here is the hotel, navy pier, and the buses. ;-) We are quite busy.

People are friendly. I am having a great time getting to meet people from all over. I especially like the Word Alone/Lutheran Core folks. It is unfortunate that many people have had their minds poisoned against these folks. Our leadership does not like them, obviously. I met a very nice pastor from Ocala during my flight up and she and I have been hanging out some and we sit together during plenary sessions.

I really have decided that I hate the word "diversity." Bleah.

During the keynote today, the speaker had us read aloud together a whole list of things we are going to do in our lives about the HIV/AIDS pandemic. I did not participate....I can't see saying I am going to do all of these things I have not even had a chance to ponder and make a decision about. Many people did read it, but I was not the only one who abstained...

---Katie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I despise the word diversity too. In the end, it's practically meaningless and too often used as a tool against those who prefer traditionalism and an adherence to Scripture.

My 2d biggest gripe with the ELCA is its whole stance toward the social gospel. Christ calls us to make disciples of all nations...not fight for a larger minimum wage or promote HIV policies.