Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Why this is hard

While I believe the issues of sexuality that we are considering this week are pretty black and white, and I have no intention of going over "to the other side," I have to say this is a very difficult process. It is not easy to look at your brothers and sisters in Christ and say to them, "I cannot support your heart's desire." It is hard to call what they consider to be an appropriate and loving expression of who they are a sin in need of repentance. I had the opportunity to speak for referring all the memorials regarding sexuality to the Sexuality Task Force which will present our social statement on sexuality in 2009. Another woman in my delegation spoke for changing the standards now and pleaded with the assembly not to make her wait another two years. Please pray for those of us who are here trying to speak for the authority of scripture and trying to show love and compassion for those who struggle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% and I admire your charity. Just know it is unlikley to be returned. Take a look at what has happened in the ECUSA. In few years, you are unlikely to be "tolerated". That doesn't mean you shouldn't continue your Christ-like approach. But you may need to look for another home sooner than you think.

God Bless from someone who swam the Tiber 3 years ago.