Sunday, February 27, 2005

About Recommendation #2

A pastor from a church in Salisbury, NC, has some interesting commentary on the second recommendation of the ELCA sexuality task force:

I am a sinner and I know it. I am not proud of this fact, but once in very clear terms I talked to a referee in a basketball game about, how can I say this now, his mother’s sexual behavior and then also in very clear terms talked about where I felt he should spend eternity.

I don’t want the church to dialogue with me about my actions. I want the church to be honest with me about my actions and to call me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

I am a sinner. I eat too much and too often. My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and I should take better care of it. My body is a gift to me from God, and I should take better care of it. I don’t want the church to come up with even unofficial acts of blessings all the M & M’s that I eat to make me feel better about my sin. I want the church to be honest with me about my actions and to call me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

I am a sinner. I lose my temper too often, especially while driving a car. I don’t want the church to talk to me about how it’s the other drivers’ fault and they should be blamed. I don’t want a blessing for drivers who lose their cool while driving. I want the church to be honest with me about my actions and to call me to repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

The church cannot bless, either officially or unofficially acts that the Bible calls sinful. The Bible is our norm for faith and life.


---
Click on the title to read the entire article. Interesting stuff.
---Katie

No comments: