Monday, February 14, 2005

I guess it's "them" vs. "us," hmmm?

I found an interesting quote from Martin Marty, a well-known Lutheran historian, in an article about the lack of response from evangelicals in the Chicago area to the GOP in the recent election. Here it is:

Church historian Martin Marty said that, while many Chicago area evangelicals are against abortion and gay marriage -- two hallmarks of the current Republican platform -- they aren't "summonable" as a group the way their counterparts in other areas of the country are.

"I love the moat we have around Illinois," Marty said. "We are so far from being a red state, it's hard for them to get things going here."

I suppose that as a conservative, Christian GOP activist and voter, I am one of those "them" he is talking about. It's nice to know that the leadership and visible representatives of the ELCA are so appreciative of the diversity of their denomination.

---Katie

No comments: