Friday, September 09, 2005

Tales from the Front III

One more story:


There are two shelters opening up with a mile of my home. I visited both this afternoon, with an eye to seeing what I could do to help. Actually I had been to one, the Good Samaritan ministry, on Monday, when I had first heard of it. This is a Christian ministry that has existed for years. Has a food and clothing bank. Helps with rent and utility bills for those in need. Coordinates with other agencies for medical care.

Well before the disaster, the GS had acquired a large new space that formerly housed the electric company’s offices. A rehab was making slow progress over the weeks until last Wednesday when the director received a call asking if she could host 100 people – family people. She put the word out to the community and things began to happen, and happen fast.

Carpenters showed up to build bedrooms; electricians showed up to wire them; plumbers showed up to build bathrooms. Tons of building supplies and fixtures were donated. As this was going a steady stream just plain folks were backing up to the loading docks delivering food, water, clothing, beds, tables, chairs lamps, rugs, appliances, toys, cleaning supplies, bed linens..in sum, about all you could need for making a most comfortable environment for our brothers and sisters who are in a tight spot right now.

The bedrooms are something the families will need – have their own little space and a door to close, after days of being moved en mass. The one I saw had two beds nicely made up, a chest of drawers, bedside tables with lamps, throw rugs on the tile floor. On one of the beds was the coolest stuffed Bengal tiger!

As I walked through the place, I saw self organized groups of people working to carry the donations from the loading dock, which was overflowing, to other groups who were sorting and storing.

I wanted to volunteer for food service, so I asked to see the kitchen. They had one 4 burner electric range, I said, “We’re going to need another stove.” A doctor, what was working on setting up a clinic there overheard. He said, “You need another stove? Lowe’s will donate that. Just e-mail me so I don’t forget”

Then I went to the other shelter. This one is run by the Red Cross in conjunction with FEMA. They have a U-Haul truck unloading cots which I assume they are setting up in the gym. I say “assume” because I was not allowed inside until I talked to the man. And after waiting, I was told that the man was resolving some logistics problems. I did hear one person who was unloading say, “This is not going to be nearly enough.” So maybe that is what the man was working on. I left.

My point is while I am glad for Red Cross / FEMA the contrast with their effort and what I saw at Good Samaritan is striking and telling. I am sure that at some point the RC will get their cots set up in the gym and get a good supply of MREÂ’s.

Meanwhile, back at the GS ministry, without directives, rules and regulations, or any real boss on the ground that I could find, Americans rolled up their sleeves and got to work.




---Katie

No comments: