Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tell me it isn't true!

I was listening to Mike Gallagher last night on my way home from dropping the kids off at handbell practice. On the show, they were talking about Valentine's Day and how for many women it is perceived as a girls' day...meaning the boys have to do all the work and the girls don't have to do anything to show their appreciation for the men they love. They gave a couple of examples including one man who was present in the studio whose wife teaches their three daughters exactly that - they don't have to do anything except sit back and wait for the goodies on Valentine's Day. Not even a card for their man.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, but I thought Valentines Day was a day to celebrate romance. Doesn't it take two to have a romance? Don't men need to be appreciated for their role in the relationship?

What I was hearing from the men who were discussing this issue was that the attitude of the women is that women have to "put up with" the men all year long, so the men have to "put out" with the flowers and candy and jewelry to make up for the inconvenience that men create in the lives of their women. Please tell me that isn't the attitude of my sisters! I hope you at least gave your guy a card to let him know you appreciate him! If you didn't, perhaps you need to buy yourself a present...Dr. Laura's book, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. You know, ladies, we really aren't all that...they have to put up with us too.

Of course it did occur to me that men aren't looking for candy or flowers or tools from their sweetie on Valentine's Day. Perhaps they are happy to get a little quality alone time - if you know what I mean. But at least get them a card too. ;-)

Take care of your men, ladies.

---Katie

No comments: