Saturday, March 05, 2005

If you don't behave rightly....

I am working through my first doctoral level course, a course on Christian Ethics. It is fascinating. Here is something that has me pondering. Archibald Hunter theorized that the ethic of the Rabbis was, "If you don't behave rightly, you will not be saved," while the ethic of Jesus says, "If you don't behave rightly, you have not been saved." This is pretty Lutheran, I think...it is also reassuring. Christ already did the work. I don't have to work for my salvation because I believe in the Savior who already did all of the work. I don't have to "be good," but I want to because of what He did for me. Yet I don't have to meet some man-made standard of goodness to know that I have salvation. If I fail at being good, that's ok because He forgives me and I can go on knowing I am covered by His grace. Whatever goodness is there because He put it there and I am His. What a relief.

---Katie

No comments: