Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I'm sick of the Oreck commercial...

I apologize for blogging about vacuum cleaners, but I hear the Oreck commercial all the time when I am out and about and listening to talk radio. I just have to say, "Don't believe it!!!" We got an Oreck years ago, and granted, I am no Martha Stewart, and we have some challenging housekeeping issues - four kids, two dogs with long hair, four cats, two of whom have long hair and at least two people in the house at any one time with long hair.

So, we are hard on vacuums. Our dogs are Aussies, and they have a reputation for causing vacuums to wear out. Our Oreck was really challenged in our house. I had to replace the beater bar belt over and over, and that was not a pleasant process. After several years and lots of belts and several tune-ups, we decided to go with a Hoover Wind Tunnel, you know, the one the Oreck add says such unkind things about. The first time we used it, I started to panic. It caused brown streaks to appear on our carpet - I could not figure out why it was making my carpet dirtier! What we realized was that the Oreck had left so much dirt down in our carpet that the Wind Tunnel was pulling it up and it took a while to get all the brown out of our carpet.

The Wind Tunnel was great, but it has about a one year life expectancy in our house. When the last one died several months ago, we decided to give the Dyson a try. That is the coolest vacuum cleaner - it really looks space age! And it gets an unbelievable amount of stuff out of the carpet. It is comparable to the Oreck in price, I think. So we'll see how long it lasts...right now it is just fun to use.

Just don't believe the Oreck commercials!!!

And I promise, no more vacuum cleaner posts. (Unless the Dyson dies.)

---Katie

No comments: