Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Life is sacred or meaningless, there is nothing in between.

So says Kate Adamson, a recovered "vegetative state" patient. Here is what she says about starvation as a way for a disabled person to die:

Frequently described by medical authorities as a humane way to die, Kate - now as vibrant and beautiful as before her stroke - testified before the crowd of Terri’s family and supporters that this form of legalized execution was “one of the most painful experiences you can imagine." Unable to respond or to indicate awareness, Kate Adamson asserts, “I was just like Terri…but I was alive! I could hear every word. They were saying ‘shall we just not treat her?’...I suffered excruciating misery in silence.”

My skin crawls when I think about what Terri Shiavo's husband has in mind for her. Are we really going to allow her feeding tube to be removed?

---Katie

No comments: