Thursday, March 17, 2005

What if Jesus followed Recommendation 3?

If you have not been keeping up with the ELCA Sexuality Task Force and its recommendations, browse through previous posts. There is lots of information. I took this off of one of my yahoo groups:

Pastor Dan Delzell, who serves at Trinity LC, Papillion, NE, shared the
following with us.

Mark Chavez

What if Jesus in his earthly ministry had taken the approach that the
Task Force has taken in their third recommendation? It may have sounded
something like this in John chapter 8:1—11.

The Pharisees brought a woman to Jesus who had been caught in adultery.
Jesus told her that it was not his intention to make changes to any of
the Ten Commandments. However, he wanted to be sensitive to her personal
issues regarding the commandment about adultery. He told her, “If you in
good conscience feel that you cannot end this relationship because you
love this person, then I am willing to make an exception for you. If you
love him and if you promise not to commit adultery with anyone but him,
then I want to affirm your relationship with him. You also need to
promise me that you are committed to following the vision and
expectations of the other nine commandments. Please know that some of my
disciples will not in good conscience be able to give their approval and
blessing to this type of behavior. Your actions will not be accepted in
every church and in every village. But here in your town and for you
personally, I want to make this option available to you because I love
you. I do not condemn you. Go now and continue this adulterous
relationship as you sincerely try to follow the other nine commandments.”


Hmmm.
---Katie

No comments: